Senior Software Engineer, specialized in full stack web engineering mainly with Django, SQL, React, Celery, Elastic Search. Experience in machine learning with Scipy and scikit-learn and big data with Spark.
Strong software design skills, looking forward to developing a career as Software Architect, having gathered extensive knowledge in integrating a broad range of cutting-edge technologies.
Active free and open-source software contributor and speaker.
Senior Software Engineer
July 2015 – today ◦ Udemy , Dublin
- Udemy for Business (UFB) team. Promoted to Senior in March 2017.
- Worked in a fast paced agile environment with rapid iteration with Kanban/Trello.
- Leaded the hierarchical taxonomy management system for the course collection.
- Leaded the adoption of marketplace search system (replacing the UFB search system, which was simpler), working with a distributed team along different timezones.
- Leaded the development of course lecture search in Elastic Search.
- Leaded the UFB public API development.
- Leaded UFB instrumentation with Datadog.
- Migration to the new stack: from PHP to Django, and from Angular to React+MobX.
- Development of data pipelines for UFB analytics in Amazon Redshift, Pinball, Python and ChartIO.
- REST integration with 3rd party services like Sentry, Intercom, Slack, Marketo.
- Backend stack: Django, Django Rest Framework, Celery, MySQL, Memcached, Redis, Elastic Search.
- Frontend stack: React, MobX, Webpack, Babel, Karma.
- Development environment: Docker, uWSGI, Fabric, Ansible, CentOS. Continuous Integration with Github and Jenkins.
- http://udemy.com http://business.udemy.com
Chief Technology Officer
November 2016 – today ◦ Cooperativa Social Los Mochuelos , Madrid
- Co-founder of the cooperative.
- Development and launched the Reutiliza project, which has been growing since 2016. Built in Django and PostgreSQL with Full Text Search. Deployed in Debian.
- Technology advisor for the different activities of the cooperative, as well as system management and software development. Wordpress and server hardening.
- http://mochuelos.com http://reutilizabocema.com
Chief Technology Officer
June 2014 – November 2014 ◦ Indievelopment, Dublin
- Co-founder of a LaunchBox 2015 startup (Trinity College’s accelerator for student startups).
- Designed the software architecture for deployment on Microsoft Azure.
- User requirements gathering of our target through interviews, web forms and social networks.
- http://indievelopment.info http://launchbox.ie/companies/indievelopment https://www.f6s.com/indievelopment
September 2012 – June 2014 ◦ Vivocom EU, Spain
- Extended the web application architecture (Yii+MySQL) with MongoDB, caching, background workers and querying, automation tools (Grunt), TTD, code quality linter, web security pentesting. Leaded the frontend implementation with CoffeeScript, CommonJS and Bower. Also trained the team for those new technologies/paradigms.
- Software design with ArgoUML, Continuous Integration with Github, Agile development with Kanban/Scrum/Redmine
- Server side performance optimization with PHPcache. Database query optimization of MySQL/MongoDB.
- Built a real time chat for the website: Integrated an Ejjaberd chat server with a WSDL DaaS. Web client built in Ember.js.
- 100,000 registered users in its first year. Funded by the Spanish Ministry of Industry, Energy and Tourism as part of Plan Avanza 2 program. It was awarded the Prize for Most innovative business project by the Inspirational Festival of 2013.
- References: Raúl Fernández Fraile http://linkedin.com/in/rfraile, Kublai Gómez Soto http://linkedin.com/in/kublai
- http://keepunto.com http://youtu.be/usjou9iFj7U http://planavanza.es http://inspirationalfestival.com
Junior Software Engineer
April 2011 – January 2012 ◦ Vivocom EU, Spain
- Migrated the old application to Yii Framework, and trained the team on this new framework.
- Optimized the most heavy database queries, and the web client with PageSpeed and CloudFlare. Also improved the display algorithm that placed user-published photos, videos and texts into an horizontal wall.
- Max peak reached with 12,500 unique visitors in one day.
- Agile Development with Redmine and continuous integration with GitHub.
- Reference: Raúl Fernández Fraile http://linkedin.com/in/rfraile
- http://koowall.com http://vimeo.com/37125476
Software Analyst & Developer
June 2009 – April 2011 ◦ InDaHouseRulez, Spain
- Developing frontends, customer facing and backend features, multilingual websites with advertising revenues.
- Django, Symfony, Yii, Wordpress, MySQL. Also helped as systems technician with web servers (Cherokee, Apache), mail server (Postfix) and Debian/BSD.
- Agile Development with ActiveCollab, continuous integration with SVN
- Recommendation: http://linkedin.com/in/baratajorge/en#recommendations
- Reference: Rubén Hernández http://linkedin.com/in/rubenhernandeza
- http://indahouserulez.com http://usitility.com http://regalomascotas.com http://quevicio.com
September 2008 – June 2009 ◦ Carlos III University of Madrid, Spain
- Customer Service Center, technical support of the university, providing assistance to both staff and students. Computer maintenance (hardware and software), printers, networks, etc.
B.Sc. Computer Science & Engineering, M.Sc Distributed Systems
August 2007 – August 2017 ◦ Carlos III University of Madrid, Spain
- Taxi Recommendation System for Big Data: Final dissertation. It consisted of two parts:
- A data pipeline built in SciPy, scikit-learn, and Spark and deployed in the laboratory cluster.
- A web application with geospatial features built in Django and PostGIS.
- Spanish: native
- English: fluent (4 years working in Ireland, B2)
- Organizer of Dublin Django User Group. https://www.meetup.com/django-dublin/
- Active speaker. https://github.com/jorgebg/talks/
- Contributed to Django, Yii, Symfony, along others.
- Participates on hackathons every year, and releases the code. https://github.com/jorgebg/gamecraft-2017
Nórdicos en Adopción http://nordicosenadopcion.com: Non-profit animal shelter. Built with Drupal and Shopify. (2011 – today, Spain)
AJBID http://ajbid.org: Association of Retirees of the Inter-american Development Bank. Built with Yii & MySQL.
Surprizes http://surpriz.es: Online affiliation system. Built with Yii 2 & MySQL.